Birthday Babies

19 March 2014

Today is a doubly special day. On this day, 5 years ago, my dog, Lucy was born. And on this day 2 years ago, my nephew, Fox was born. March 20 is one of the best days of the year.

Puppy fuzz!
First, I'll talk about my baby girl. Fact: Fox does not call her Lucy, but instead calls her baby. How is that for cute? Lucy is my special lady, my shadow, my best friend. She's a bit shy, but she loves my nephews and gives lots of kisses. She sticks by my side whenever I'm sick or feeling down. She also makes for an excellent hiking companion, often schooling me on grueling uphill climbs. Almost five years ago, I took her home and promised her that I would always take care of her. Some days, that promise was the only thing keeping me going. In short, I cannot imagine my life without her.


And now for Fox. The night Fox was born was very special indeed. It was a Tuesday, and I had belly dance class that night, but my sister warned me that I may need to leave early if she checked into the hospital- she'd been having contractions all day, but wasn't sure if it was the real deal. Around 8-8:30 I headed over to the hospital, and hung out in the room while my sister took a bath. We all figured we had time to settle in. 

We turned on the TV and waited. While she was in the tub, my sister thought her water broke, so we called for the nurse who came to check things out. It turned out my sister was a lot further along than they thought. No time for drugs, which is good, since my sister was hoping to not use them. My sister's blood pressure was on the high side, so the nurse had her lay on her left side, but this seemed to give my sister more of an urge to push. When the nurse checked how things were progressing down below, she told my sister not to push- things were moving so quickly we weren't sure if the doctor was going to get there on time! I stood with my sister, rubbing her feet, but for some reason, watching her get contractions made me queasy and I nearly passed out. She said they just felt like really bad cramps, which I had dealt with in the past (and which always made me nauseous), so perhaps I empathized a little too much.

Once the doctor arrived, the pushing began and 15 minutes later, Fox came screaming into the world. It's no secret that I'm a sensitive person, and I choked up when I heard his first cry (while holding my sister leg back during the delivery). My sister high-fived me when Fox came into the world, and she was high on the adrenaline rush of giving birth naturally. It was an amazing moment, one that bonded me both to my sister and to her son. After the hubbub died down and everyone left, I stayed with my sister and her husband. I let my sister and her husband get some sleep while I rocked Fox and watched the snow falling outside. Yes, it snowed the night Fox was born, and it was peaceful and perfect.


And now that little baby boy is a toddler bursting with life. He's a boy who knows what he wants, and that means trains, books, robots, nummahs (sweets), and cats (which he calls mow, like meow without the e). He loves watching me do my nails or bake up treats in the kitchen. It's amazing how fast the time flies, and so much fun to watch a little boy grow into a person.

So, though neither of them can read, I will be wishing my dearest babies a happy birthday today, complete with nummahs.
 photo Untitled-2_zpsf24ff9bf.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.