My Worst Traits

24 May 2013
Day 24 of the challenge: Your top 3 worst traits.

Really? I'm trying to bring more positivity into my life, and working on growing my self-esteem after a lifetime shortage, so reviewing my worst traits doesn't exactly sound appealing. But then I think of the opportunity to honestly examine my downfalls so that I may constructively work to better them. This thought always makes me think of Jo from Little Women.

Here's something pretty.

So, here they are, my top 3 worst traits (according to me, my family might have something else to say about it):

1. I have a hard time staying focused on one task. While I'm watching T.V., I'm probably going to check my phone at some point- I'll check my email, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. I try to keep it to the commercial breaks, but sometimes I become to absorbed. At work, I'll be working on entering an order, then an email will come in that I will answer, and if I get a text, I'll be answering that as well. When I'm cleaning at home, I will get started on my bathroom, and putting something away in my bedroom will lead me to start cleaning off my dresser, which will take me to my bookshelf, which will take me to emptying the garbage, which will take me to a whole lot of projects begun and none completed. And then there's yoga. I'm supposed to be present and mindful in yoga, but it's so hard when I get the hunger pangs and I start thinking about what I"ll make for dinner, and then I'm thinking about my next blog post, and planning my trip to the beach on the weekend, and getting excited to see my friend Adrienne on Tuesday- and oh, where should we meet up? I know I need to take one thing at a time, and sometimes I do manage to slow down. I will make a list of what needs cleaned. I will line up my tasks at work. And I will take a deep breath in yoga, and in the rest of my life.

Lovely, soft blooms.

2. I'm good at not taking my own advice. I will see oh so clearly what someone else should do in a situation, but when it's my turn, nuh-uh. I have a million and one reasons excuses not to take my own advice. You should leave that horrible job if it's making you miserable, even though I stayed with my terrible boss for almost five years (I'm not exaggerating- she once yelled at me for going to the bathroom too often). I think it's human nature though, since it so so much easier to see someone else's life objectively, than it is to see your own. I've just got to give myself a break and hope that my advice catches on one day.

3. I have road rage. I've shaken my fist at people. I don't honk, but I swear like a sailor within the confines of my car. I get incredibly angry when someone cuts in front of me on the freeway, only to go at a snail's pace. I hate when people don't use their blinkers. I hate when the car in front of me won't scootch forward when a semi-truck is right next to me and wants to be where I am, especially when the car in front of me has a semi-truck's length between him and the car in front of him (it happened this morning- I swore and then as soon as I had the chance, I sped up to the speed limit and passed him). I hate it when cars and motorcycles make up their own lanes during rush hour. It's not just that I hate it, it's It helps if I take a deep breath and play some Bob Marley, but this is another difficult one for me to work on.

Look at that little guy!

There they are, the lowest parts of my human nature. I try to be the best person I can be, but it takes work, one day at a time.

What are your worst traits? How do you deal with them? Any advice for handling your own road-rage? I would love to hear what you have to say!

 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

10 comments:

  1. Road rage. Moving to PDX from California was quite the change in driving techniques. The thing that drives me crazy is people not pulling out for a left turn at stop lights when there's a blinking yellow turn signal. At least 1 or 2 of us could get through it! No, they like to wait until the light comes all the way back around!!

    But one random thought. My SIL's solution is to figure that everyone has diarrhea. Gross I know. But maybe they're driving crazy because they're trying to get home, etc to help themselves. To add to that, I once drove with a very full pot of soup in my crock pot. I was an official Oregon driver, going 10 under the speed limit. So now when people are going slow, I try to be calm and say "they have a pot of soup." Doesn't always work, but helped often. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on number 1-- I think that is sort of a problem for most people this day in age. I think it is good to know your worst traits to improve on them, be honest with yourself, and more forgiving of others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- we have so much at our fingertips that it is overwhelming. And I agree on being forgiving- it's important to be mindful that we all share some of the some pitfalls.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, I definitely am so far from road rage thankfully. My husband is a biiig rager though.

    But the staying focused and not following your own advice? I feel ya. I think those two might even go hand in hand.

    Beautiful, beautiful flowers, by the way! I'm completely jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really good at #2, so I totally feel you. It's great that you're so honest with yourself and this is also an opportunity for you to see that you're not alone and a lot of people share these same "worst" traits as you! : ) And sometimes, they're just a part of what makes you, you.

    xo
    Rebecca | www.rebeccamarin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rebecca! Thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Just being aware that you're not good at taking your own advice is the first step - great share! And beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2 for me - I have a hard time taking my own advice - I always end up getting sick because I never slow down and take a break and just run myself into the ground... I love your peonies. We just bought our first home and I was pleasantly surprised when they started blooming out front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've gotten sick from not slowing down before. I've learned from that though- I got shingles after being so stressed at work, then got the flu shortly thereafter, and in that time my second nephew was born and I couldn't see him until I was well. That really taught me that taking care of my body comes first, and if my boss doesn't like that, then I'll need a new job (which is what happened- I moved on, and now I'm encouraged to take care of myself).

      I actually live with my sister right now, and she and her husband bought the house in January, so we didn't know about the peony bush until we had buds. It is such a wonderful surprise, don't you think?

      Delete
  7. Haha, if this is the worst you've got, then you're doing REALLY well!

    But yes, I get soooo distracted. If I am doing something, I need to just focus or it won't ever get done. That's why I like doing things in batches. Laundry, blog reading, TV show marathons. I can't just do a little here and a little there. Ummmmm I kinda don't work that way. :) And I'm a tangent girl... so if I get distracted or something is interesting, I will go off and forget why I even started or came or what I was supposed to be doing! :)

    Can totally relate!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.