The Soundtrack of My Life

29 May 2013
Today I am supposed to include  five pieces of music that bring back memories or remind me of someone. Music plays a major role in my life, and it is constantly playing in the background. It is impossible for me to just pick 5 songs, but here are my picks, in no particular order:


This song makes me think of the year I studied abroad in Poitiers, France. I heard it a lot while I was there, and kind of became the unofficial anthem of the year. I made so many friends that year, and really felt like I had a community I could rely on. This is the song for that community of friends.


This song reminds me of my younger brother. When we were little, at Christmas time we would play A Very Special Christmas and we would take turns lip-syncing to the songs. My sister and I usually tackled the girl songs together, but this song was Sean's time to shine. An he rocked it. I can still picture his scrunched-up nose and gap-teeth as he busted out an angry rendition of this song.


True story: when I was a junior in high school, my best theater friend got pregnant. We were partners for all of our theater projects, and when our teacher would send the class into the hall to rehearse, Erin and I decided we were set with our scene and made up a dance instead. It was a chair dance. Senior year, we polished it up, made this the song for the piece, and performed it on our last day of school. We wore red dresses and used feather boas- I can't remember if wigs were involved. It was epic.


Because there are a lot of songs that remind me of my sister, but this is the one I use as her ringtone in my phone. She once sang this at karaoke and brought the right amount of Tina Turner raspiness to render it a classic. 


This song reminds me of all of our car trips growing up. My dad is a railfan, so when I was little, he would pack the family in the car on weekends to go on drives looking for trains. The White Album on cassette was usually our soundtrack.


 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Christmas song! That is my favorite time of the year by far. I love how songs bring back certain memories and the holidays are definitely a time full of family and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?! I could've honestly done a playlist just of Christmas songs that bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made the mistake of listening to the Christmas one. Now I'm all depressed that it isn't Christmas time.

    THANKS RACHEL.

    (And Private Dancer ringtone? that's awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha-ha I'm going to have 'You Sexy Thing' stuck in my head all night, so classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Bad Day with Daniel Powter as our Poitiers song. It was played everywhere! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost included that one! I could do a playlist just of Poitiers songs.

      Delete
  6. a very special christmas is still my favorite christmas cd to listen to!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.