Things I've Learned

23 May 2013
Today's prompt in the challenge is "Things you've learned that school won't teach you." I find this to be one of the most difficult prompts because how can you distill all that you have learned into one blog post? I learned plenty in school, and I've forgotten a lot about what I've learned. I know longer recall dates, facts, and formulas. I think I've retained ideas, but I have trouble forming words when tested. But this isn't about what I learned in school.


1. The most important thing, the only thing you ever really need to know and understand: love. Love is the most important thing in life. Jobs may come and go, homes will be lived in and left, your bank account will fluctuate, but love will remain constant. So when you are with someone you love, make sure they know you love them. Look them in the eye, listen to their stories, laugh at their jokes, tell them that you've though about them, give them a hug, or just sit in knowing silence. But always be present for the ones you love, because you never know when your last moment with them will be. And in the end, the love will be all that matters.

This lesson really hit home for me when my grandmother passed away. Just three months earlier, right before the start of my final year of college, my uncle killed himself. It was the first death in the family that I had experienced, and it was shocking and painful. I did not know how to deal with it, but thankfully I had some good friends to surround me with love and support. During Christmas break, right after Christmas, my family got news that Grandma Louise's cancer was wreaking havoc on her insides and she probably had about six months to live. Two days later six months turned into a week. She didn't make it the week. On January 3, I awoke to the phone ringing constantly. My Aunt Becky was updating my parents on Grandma Louise's situation, saying that Grandma was asking for my dad (her son). My dad booked a flight for he and my mom to get out there as soon as they could, but just a few hours later Grandma Louise passed. It wasn't fair. Why couldn't God just let her hold on until my dad could get there and let his mother be with him one last time? That was the moment that I truly understood that love is the meaning of all of this. Love is why we are here.

2. Life does not go according to a plan. You can certainly head down one path, but there will likely be roadblocks in the way. There may even be detours. And sometimes you end up on a different path completely, but it's all ok. There is no path you are supposed to be on other than the one you are on. One of my favorite lyrics from one of my favorite songs says, "nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be" (from All You Need is Love by the Beatles). All that matters is that you show up on your path and take in the lessons it has to offer.

This is the lesson that I keep learning over and over. I've found that in life it tends to take me longer to do things than it takes everyone else. I never had a boyfriend growing up, never had a date to a dance. I didn't head off to college knowing what I wanted to study. I went to community college, which took 3 years to complete due to moving from Arizona to Washington and having completely different requirements for transferring to a university. I decided after my 2nd year of college that I wanted to major in French and after the 3rd year I knew I wanted to minor in Art History. I transferred to a university where it took me another 3 years to complete my degree. It sure was not the typical path for a college student to follow, but I wouldn't change it. Each year I learned something about myself that took me to the next step. I learned that I love to dance. I learned that I adore the French language, and that art simply fills me up. I learned that I can't stomach a crappy job (at Disney World, no less). I learned how to be a leader. I learned how to take a leap and live in a country where I barely speak the language. It took me 6 years to get a degree, but those 6 years formed me into an adult in ways that many college students don't experience. It took another few years before I started dating and had my first kiss (say what?! yes, it's true, now I'm a freak). But every bump and turn along my path has led me to where I am right now, and I firmly believe that I am where I am meant to be.

3. Just be yourself and everything else will fall into place. Don't worry about making friends with so-and-so, or trying to fit in with a certain crowd. The people who are right for you can only find you if you just be yourself. Know who you are, know what you believe in, and don't be afraid to have a good time. Belt out a song if that's what you're feeling. Break into an Irish jig if that's what makes you happy. Wear all yellow or all black, just to please yourself. At the end of the day, you have to go to bed with yourself, so make sure that you're someone you can trust.

This is another lesson that is on repeat for me, though I learned it pretty early on. I've got a strong enough personality to know what I like and that I'm not going to change any of that for anybody. I love walking down the street with my friends belting out Disney songs, and sometimes I wear yellow, or bright pink, but mostly bright green, and I like making references to PeeWee's Big Adventure. If you're on board with that, you're my new best friend. If that's not really your thing, but you like me anyway, then you're my new friend, and if you don't like any of that and therefore can't stand me, then you don't need to be part of my crew. All of that is ok. Every good friend I've had has drifted my way when I've been the most shamelessly myself. And now that I think of it, my good friend Adrienne won't join me in song, tends to wear dark colors, and I don't know if she's even seen PeeWee's Big Adventure, but she'll stand by and laugh when I do my thing. And I laugh when she does her thing (like talk about smart grids, which I still have a hard time understanding).

I love odd numbers, and trinities are rad, so I will stop there. I think out of all I've learned outside of school, these are the most important. How do you feel about this list? Would you add something to it? What is the biggest lesson you have learned? Leave a comment or send an email- I'd love to hear what you have to say!

 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Rachel. This definitely resonated with me on a very personal level. It was exactly ten years ago that I lost my mother to cancer. It was the most devastating moment in my life. But I am very happy and so blessed to say that I am a very different person than I was ten years ago. I am very thankful. Blessed to have the family I do have. Grateful for the memories, stories, and love my mom has given me. You are most definitely right... Love is the most important thing, so far above everything else in this world.

    I have learned so much from her life and even her passing. Things that will forever stay with me.

    I wanted to thank you so much for sharing this story with us. I love hearing true, honest, and raw happenings of one's life. You're quite a beautiful soul, Rachel! So happy to have met you. :)

    Oh, and I can speak from experience... Life definitely doesn't always go according to "plan" -- things happen, both good and bad, but they all help mold us in to the person we are today. And realizing that, probably is one of the most significant and meaningful things I have ever learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Latrina for the heartfelt comment. I am sorry for your loss- I cannot fathom what it is like to lost a parent.

      I am very grateful and happy to have met you too, Latrina! It is hard to post something like this, sharing a deep part of myself, but it is connections such as this that make it worth it. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great post. One of the biggest things I've learned in life so far--and the one major thing I will take with me as I enter my 30s--is "ask for what you want." It took me a looooong time to get to the point where I could even start thinking about that, but it's paid off in ways I never could have imagined.

    Again, loved this post, Rachel! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! Your lesson is a really good one- I am so glad you brought it up, as I still haven't got that one figured out. I am really glad that you shared that, it is such a good reminder. Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  3. Something that's always been with me, just because I also do pretty much what comes in mind (oh, the things that would have happened if only I could cartwheel) no matter if it's jumping down stairs or skipping on the street or eating muffins upside down (the muffin, not me), (apparentely that's a weird thing, I think it's the obvious this since the top part is the best), well, the thing that I've learned from pretty early on even if it's been hard sometimes, is to not care what other people think. If I look weird when picking up my knitting needles on the bus, then so be it, I don't care, I just enjoy a lovely bus ride =)

    Thank you for sharing so much about your life, Rachel! I love reading about it. Also, I miss our pancake breakfasts in Poitiers.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you, Ina! I agree with eating the muffin upside-down. I actually have a 3-step process : eat outer edge, eat bottom, eat top. I think what made me like you to begin with was how unafraid you are to be yourself- you're so Ina and I am so glad to have met you.

      Every time I make pancakes, I think of our pancake breakfasts in Poitiers. :)

      Delete
    2. I do too! There is a place opened in Stockholm that serve American pancakes and everytime I'm there I think of you and mint M&M's and your and Renee's apartment and the pancakes you make. Next time I come to the States we have to eat pancakes.

      I'll try your 3-step muffin eating process! Everything that can enhance the experience of yummieness must be tried =)

      You're a lovely person, Rachel!

      Delete
    3. Oh Ina, please come visit and have pancakes with me :)

      Delete
    4. Oh, I'll do it!
      The plan has been to come visit Lyndsey for Christmas this year but since my dad passed away this past January I'm not sure I want to leave my mum alone the first Christmas after he died. So we'll see, maybe I would have to wait yet another year.

      Delete
    5. Oh Ina, I'm sorry your dad passed away. You should definitely spend time with your mom for Christmas. Whenever you do make it out here though, it would be so great to see you!

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely post, Rachel. I just found your blog via Leaner by the Lake and am really enjoying your May daily challenge posts. I always think about advice I would've given my younger self, and everything you shared here is part of that! I don't know if I would've listened, but part of life is the learning. Your first lesson particularly resonates with me right now- not only is it so important to live positively but also to show the people you love how much you care about them each and every day. Thanks for sharing this!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alicia! I agree- I have to learn lessons on my own, and I feel like each difficult lesson has brought me to the person I am today.

      Delete
  5. WHOA.

    OKAY.

    So, I cannot even FINISH reading this right now. I was all on board and then you said YOU WORKED AT DISNEY WORLD.

    Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

    ME TOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I finished reading.

      But still.

      Just call me Scarlett O'Hara because I'm gone with the wind my mind is blown so much.

      CRAZY.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.