Getting Out: Angel's Rest

11 June 2013
 
Do you have a phobia? A fear that is so intense that it fills every cell of your body with fear, causing you to lose your breath, your heart to pound, or making you feel faint?

At the top! I'm kind of freaking out- too close to the edge for me.
Mine is acrophobia. And arachnophobia, but I'll save that one for another day (I've got several stories I could tell there). Today is about my acrophobia.

Mini strawberry!

One of my goals this Summer is to get back out to Hamilton Mountain and hike all the way to the top. About 5 years ago, I hiked it with my family, but we didn't make it to the top because I could not get myself to go beyond a certain ridge, probably 200 feet from the top (the total elevation gain on this hike is 2100 feet, to give you an idea of how high we'd already climbed). I wasn't the only one in our party with a fear of heights, but I was really feeling it in my body. I totally get vertigo, and I feel just like Jimmy Stewart in the movie. I've learned to never look down.

Little creek.
My acrophobia hasn't exactly held me back in life. I've done plenty of things that I wanted to do, keeping in mind my fear (and learning to deal with the vertigo). One of my absolute favorite things to do during my travels in Europe was to climb church towers and bell towers. I remember having a major freakout in Giotto's bell tower in Florence when the bells started ringing while my friends and I were at the top (oh god, this thing is going to crumble below me), and another major freakout two years later in the bell tower in Brugge. I love to climb the stairs, but I need to never look down.

The magical, mystical forest.
View looking back from Angel's Rest.
So this past Sunday, I took my friend Katie out for a hike up to Angel's Rest in the Columbia River Gorge. It's very easy to get to, about half an hour from the airport. Every source I looked at suggested getting there early in order to find parking before the crowds showed up. Here's my peeve with those recommendations: not one of those sources indicated what they meant by early. When is early? I know my early is different from someone else's early. Is early 6am? 8am? 10am? We got there at 9am and made up our own parking spot, but there were by no means any crowds yet. I'd say 9am will suffice as early.

Mini waterfall!
So, Angel's Rest. Elevation gain: 1700 feet (roughly). Total distance round trip: 4.6 miles. What doe
s this mean for us? We got a really good workout on a Sunday morning. It's pretty much all uphill, with few spots that level out along the way. There's a nice little creek and waterfall where it makes sense to take a break, but those come up early in the hike. Katie and I are in decent shape, but there's nothing like an uphill trek to set you huffing and puffing and make you believe you're a wimp.

Sorry for the fuzz, but this gives you an idea of what the forest was like.

The view west.
The trail itself was lovely, lots of forest and plenty of views of the gorge (I never tire of those views). Up toward the top, there comes a point when you are walking through a very rocky terrain. It's not so bad going up, but on the way down, there was a lot of wobbling on my part. If you're prone to sprained ankles, be careful here. Up toward the very top, there's a part where we had to climb some rocks to get out to Angel's rest, so be prepared for that as well. People brought their dogs and older children, so I guess it's not so bad.

This climb takes you to the top!
What is bad, though, is the feeling I got in my stomach when I had a view of just how high were were toward the top. Remember how I'm supposed to not look down? Sometimes that's easy to forget. I took many deep breaths at the very top, trying to slow my heart rate so I could enjoy the view (and resist the temptation to look down). It truly is an amazing view at the top, and there are boulders that jut out over the cliff, providing what must be an incredible view. But I stayed away from the edges, only daring to get out a little for a photo op. I took my deep breaths, took my pictures, then plunked down on a rock just like the other folks at the top. We were greeted by a cute little chipmunk up there, meanwhile other hikes came and went, and still others enjoyed a picnic on the rocks. This place was happening.

While it took us an hour to reach the top, it took less than half an hour to get back down to the bottom. I was feeling pretty jazzed for confronting my fear of heights, yet again, and also for actually making it all the way to the top. I hope to continue my Summer by gradually climbing higher peaks, in order to prepare myself for Hamilton Mountain. It will happen. I'm sure of it.

Yeah, I'm kind of freaking out right here.
Are you afraid of heights? Have you ever looked your fears in the face? Share in the comments below- I'd love to hear from you!

 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

11 comments:

  1. The photos look great, a variety of views with reasonable exercise. Even if you were freaking out that last photo looks awesome, proof of your accomplishment! Now that millipede would have been freaking ME out and definitely would have not pulled out my camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You might not have liked this hike- we came across quite a few millipedes- pretty gross!

      Delete
  2. Good job facing your fears - I get the same way around heights but have troubles admitting it. I felt relief reading this when you said you'd had enough and plunked down on a rock. Phew - go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, another beautiful hike! It sounds like you're really making good on your goal of getting out once a week. Those pictures are lovely.

    Heights are tricky...I used to work on a ropes course, so I feel very secure when I'm harnessed and doing something like a climbing wall or zip line, but roller coasters and mountain climbing still get my adrenaline going like crazy. Good for you for pushing your comfort zone!

    Alicia
    Jaybird Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome that you used to work on a ropes course! I'm afraid to try zip-lining because I just could not feel secure enough. I admire that you can!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you live in driving distance to some place so beautiful as this! Lucky girl!!

    Just the thought of looking over an edge into a precipice makes me shudder. I'm o.k. with looking at a horizon but, I hear ya... no looking down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel lucky to live so close to many beautiful places for hiking!

      Delete
  5. AH! This hike looks equally amazing! Your photos are stunning. And every hiking gal needs a photo like that of themselves. You look so happy and carefree!!

    http://leanerbythelake.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not afraid of height but what freaks me out is crocodiles. Can't look at pictures of them, would never go anywhere where there might be crocodiles (yet. they fascinate me but I've heard that what you are scared of usually also fascinates you). I even have problems readin about them and yes, I might have convinced myself on occaion that there are crocodiles in my home. Silly, what would a crocodile to in Sweden on the 6th floor of a building? But then again, fears are rarely logic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, fears can be completely irrational. Squirrels actually make me a bit nervous if they get too close- for some reason I always imagine them making a leap at my face. At least they're less harmful than crocodiles- I think it's a perfectly healthy fear you have, even if not completely logical in Sweden :)

      Delete
  7. Wow. What a beautiful view! I can't get over how gorgeous the scenery is. I am so proud of you for facing your fears head on! That isn't always the easiest thing to do. I've always had a fear of social situations. But... with work... and hell, just LIFE... that type of fear will pretty much get in the way of everything. I had to put myself in many uncomfortable situations... and look at me now, I may not be the most social person in the world and I still enjoy my alone time... but I'm talkative with strangers, I don't feel anxious in crowds, and I'm more outgoing. All because I faced my fears head on.

    So yes! So happy for you. If you didn't concur your fear, you would have missed out on an amazing adventure and VIEW. Wow, so gorgeous. <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.