Getting Out: Wahkeena Falls Trail

25 June 2013
Multnomah Falls Oregon Waterfall hiking
Multnomah Falls
Have you ever done something and immediately regretted it? Something stupid/silly/regretful that is 100% irrevocable? Do you ever wish you could go back in time and just undo something?

That is how I felt on Sunday after I accidentally deleted all of my beautiful photos from this hike. This trail was the most scenic I've hiked yet, and I had some pretty pictures to show for it. I even took probably the best picture ever of my dog. But you'll never see them. They're gone. I erased them.

When I looked for the photos and realized that they were completely gone, I was deeply disappointed. How is it that in this infinite universe, where every action has a reaction, something can disappear into nothingness? Why can't I just zip back in time to that one second to not push that button? I don't have questions to these answers- none of us do. It's just the way it is. And sometimes, the disappointment I feel is a hard pill to swallow.

I don't handle disappointment very well. I've been known to cry when someone cancels their plans with me (especially when it was something I was really looking forward to). Last Thursday, my sister in law texted me to tell me she couldn't go roller skating with me Friday night, something I'd been looking forward to for weeks, and I felt really let down. I sulked. And then my car freaked out and I had to call a tow truck. There were lots of tears involved.

Then there's the disappointment in myself. When I don't say the thing I meant to say. When I'm too nice, without even thinking (like doing way more for a person than they would do for me, to my own detriment). When I mess something up, big time. When I mess around with my camera and end up deleting a bunch of pictures from my beautiful hike.

I try to stay positive when I face severe disappointment. I try to reframe it. But there are times when I just feel so sulky it's hard to come out of it. That's when I need to reverse the feeling with a better positive experience. Sometimes, that means a trip to VooDoo donuts. Sometimes, it's curling up with a comfort movie (does anyone else have those- like comfort food, but in movie form?). Sunday night, post-incident, I curled up with some hot cocoa (which I under-cooked, making me sulky again) and the season finale of Mad Men. It didn't make it better, but it did take my mind off of my disappointment.

Now that I've said all that, I do want to share my hike with you. The pictures here are from my friend, Katie's, camera. Notice the picture of me taking a picture of Lucy. The picture. Ah, well. 


We hiked the Wahkeena Falls to Multnomah Falls loop, starting at Wahkeena and ending at Multnomah. This was a tough hike, in that I still don't have hiking shoes and given the rocky terrain, there was a lot of ankle rolling (and now, soreness). The first half is all uphill, so we took tons of wimp breaks, and I began to worry about my water supply (note to self: you're gonna need more than 20oz of water for a 5-mile hike). This may have been quite the workout, but it was so worth it. 

We followed along a creek and saw plenty of waterfalls all along the way. There were times I thought of Lord of the Rings, and times I thought of LOST (okay, I probably reference LOST at least once during every hike). There were cool rock formations, water cascading over fallen trees, and bits of creek without any stepping stones to cross (Lucy just braved it by padding through the water). The last part of the trail followed along Multnomah Creek, taking us to the top of Multnomah Falls. Let me tell you, it pays to go this way. By ending at Multnomah Falls, you can get past the crowds pretty quickly (and feel like a badass after completing 5 miles and the tourists are complaining about the .2 miles they've gone), and then you can get ice cream at the snack shop. I totally scored me some swirl soft serve- I earned it!

How do you handle disappointment? Do you have any tips?

 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

13 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! Such a bummer to lose all your images!!! I've done that and it SUCKS!
    I've been toying with the idea of getting out and taking a hike this weekend, and I think I'll try this loop out! Where did you start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We parked at Multnomah Falls, then walked a short ways west of the lodge to the Return Trail, which takes you to Wahkeena Falls, where there is a trailhead for the Wahkeena Trail. You'll want to consult a map or guide, because there are a couple of confusing junctions- you just want to stay on the Wahkeena Trail.

      Delete
  2. I usually think of worst case senario, and I am usually such a positive person, so maybe it has to do with my job, or watching too many scary movies, I always think when I am off on a hike " ok and this is when the monster or killer or whatever the threat is would totally show up" its good motivation to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a few phone and camera mishaps in my time and it's always such a bummer. But it sounds like you have wonderful memories of this exquisite hike either way, so try to focus on the positive of how much fun you had rather than the loss of its documentation. I met an older man on vacation once who told me that he never takes pictures when he travels. When he's forgotten what a place looks like, he knows it's time to return. Maybe it's the same for this hike. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never considered that- what a refreshing perspective! I already know I need to return for this hike, a) because it was so beautiful and b) one of the other hikers we encountered on the trail let us know we missed out by not taking one of the side trails to visit a spring- he said you can drink straight from it!

      Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  4. This is crazy because I was going to write a post similar to this (well, not the hiking part 'cause I don't do it, hehe) but about moving past disappointment and getting out of wanting to sulk and stuff!!! But today was so weird and the post felt all over the place, so I decided to just rest on that one.

    But yeah, something like that would totally make me sad!!! Ugh, I feel your frustration! From your friend's pictures, it looks like it was beautiful! And it had to be, especially if it was LOTR/LOST worthy!!! I'm sorry :(

    --Erika
    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your erased photos- I would be so upset at my computer for not having an undo and myself. At least you have some of your friend's photos, and I suppose the hike is even more memorable now than you thought! I lost a memory card that had some photos/video from a helicopter tour in Alaska during my honeymoon, but probably the way it looks now in my memory might be better than what I lost- or maybe not, who knows. Thanks for sharing your frustration, and the descriptions of the hike adventure anyway- I've never done that trail but feel a bit compelled since you set it up so wonderfully with words but I can't live too vicariously through the post because of the no pictures so I have to see for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suggest you go see it for yourself! I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about losing your pictures...I know that feeling!

    If you still have the memory card, you may be able to get them! My friend accidentally erased the ones from our trip to Rome, but she got a program online while we were on our trip, I think it is about $100, but it allows you to run your card on our computer and it will tell you and show you all the pictures it is able to recover, so, you don't have to pay and find out it couldn't find anything.

    It pretty much recovered all of them, including ones from trips that were taken on the memory card a year ago! Shocking! Once you buy the program, it is good for any pictures you might erase by mistake in the future!

    I know it works on a Mac, if you are an Apple user, let me know if you want to give it a try and I'll get the name and link of the site she used! :)

    That said, it looks like a beautiful and peaceful trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your photos, sweet lady! That is just the worst. I recently lost about 1000 iphone photos when the Apple servers went down while I was updating software. No one said sorry and they are all gone forever - sweet precious photos of my fish. Of course, I can retake but I totally know what you mean! You put time and effort in! But, that said, you've got so many great memories and snaps in your mind. I especially like Alicia's shared advice about returning once you forget. What a sage man!

    I'm going to need to look up more info about hikes around the Falls. A just told me that he prefers to keep it less taxing and more of a visiting and sightseeing sort of thing that day, so I've gotta work out if that's a possibility. Oy vey!

    STUNNING photos. I was showing the top snapshot to my friends over the weekend bragging about your hikes!

    eileen
    leaner by the lake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhh no. I totally feel your pain. I do a lot of film photography, and I've had a lot of heartbreaking moments with it. On my last trip to California, I rewound a roll of film only to open up the back and realize I exposed the whole thing. I cried right in the middle of a parking lot (and then felt stupid for crying, which made me want to cry more). Oh, and then there were the times when I THOUGHT there was film in my camera... and there was not. At least we have our memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, I've taken for granted the benefits of digital cameras- I've known the pain of not having film in the camera, or dropping the camera in water and winding up with funny pink spots on pictures (the camera lived!). You're right, though, at least we have our memories! :)

      Delete
  9. I so relate to this! Sulking that is...and not handling disappointment..it is strange, but the older I get, the more I become aware of it and it is hard. I try to reframe as well...but sometimes, just sometimes, it doesn't work! lol. Getting outdoors always helps my perspective...and then honest friends. Time with my real tried and true friends who will tell you the truth even when it hurts.

    Now, these photos? Gorgeous..this place is amazing and that is it...I am moving to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.