I Like to Read: The Book Thief

24 June 2013
Have you ever read a book, and as you approach the end of the book, you try to slow down your reading so that you can delay the end? That's what I tried to do with The Book Thief (tried because it was really hard to not keep reading).


I'm probably a little late to The Book Thief train, but I don't care. I loved it. I was hooked by Markus Zusak's writing. This book is classified as young adult, and I'm beginning to think that maybe YA books are the best, because they are so imaginative. What made this book so interesting is that it was narrated by Death, and it takes place in Germany during World War II.

I never realized it until I read this book, but much of the culture that I have been exposed to that deals with World War II has mainly been about the Holocaust. Most people read Anne Frank's diary in school, and so we learn a lot about what life was like for Jews under Hitler's reign. But what would life have been like for a little German non-Jew during that time? This book gives you an idea.

The book starts out when the main character, Liesel, is nine years old. She is sent to live with foster parents shortly after her younger brother's death. Liesel starts off as shy and afraid, but with the help of her foster father, Hans, she turns into a brave little girl. Liesel arrived at the Hubermann household completely illiterate, but with a stolen book. Hans makes sure that Liesel learns how to read under his tutelage.

When a Jew, Max, comes to hide in their basement, Liesel really blossoms. Liesel was plagued by nightmares, and when she learned that Max had nightmares too, she felt like she was not so alone, that she had found a kindred spirit. Eventually, Max writes for Liesel and encourages the writer within her, asking her to describe the world outside to him.

This is a book-lover's book, showing the power of words. It is about a book thief, after all. And words certainly held sway in Nazi Germany. Given how much I love words and books, I couldn't not love this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

Have you read The Book Thief? Have you ever read a book that you did not want to end? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

17 comments:

  1. I've definitely had that experience with not wanting books to end! But unfortunately I read for pleasure so rarely that I don't remember the last book it was... probably one of the Gillian Flynn dark mysteries I read last summer. Hope to get some more reading time this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to read more! I always read before bed, because it helps me fall asleep, and usually during my lunch break at work. It's the easiest way to fit it in the day, I think.

      Delete
  2. Never read it and I actually need to start my "to read" list. This will be on it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! It's such a good book, I hope you will like it!

      Delete
  3. Wow. I haven't ever read or heard of this book....but it sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to give the Book Thief another try. I started it once before--however, I was pregnant at the time and prone to very vivid dreams and I realized that The Book Thief was not the sort of book I should be reading at that time. What I read was great, but it led to some rather unpleasant dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I always have vivid dreams, and I guess I've had some weird ones while reading this, so I understand! But I do hope you give it another try.

      Delete
  5. The Book Thief is one of my favorite books! Til recently I worked as a reading tutor, and this novel was really popular among our kids. There was also a play adaptation at Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago as part of a series on youth violence and being a bystander vs. an upstander. It was so cool to see a dramatic interpretation of the colors used in the novel and the voice of the narrator. Any book that focuses on the beauty of words is a must-read for me.

    It's very different, but you might enjoy The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Another one of my favorite novels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that play sounds so neat! I can see how this book would be well adapted to the stage.

      I will have to look into that book- thank you for the recommendation! :)

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this book too! I actually have a (possibly morbid?) fascination with WWII stories and read as many as I can get my hands on. Jodi Picoults latest novel, The Storyteller, had a WWII/Holocaust theme which added an interesting twist to her usual legal/moral dramas.. it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like something I would LOVE reading! Yes, I am way more into YA fiction than adult fiction... and I am fascinated by anything relating to the Holocaust... directly or indirectly. Thanks for recommending, I'll have to add this one to my list of books to read eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. weird sketchy twinny weirdness haha: I was planning on doing a book review tomorrow on the blog! Before I read this! Crazy! :)

      Delete
  8. I hadn't hear of this book, so maybe I'm late! With a 4.6 out of 5 stars on amazon, with 2,230 reviews, it must be good! I'll add that one to the list. I'm just starting The Windup Girl, so it might have to wait a little. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read The Book Thief but I have most definitely slowed down at the end of a book before. I usually try to strategically time it so that I can read the last 50 pages right before bed one night uninterrupted. Gotta love a captivating book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this book sounds fascinating! I think I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Book Thief is hands down my favorite book of all time. I've read it more times than I can count... and each time, towards to the end, I try to slow down. Savor it. Make the story last as long as I can.

    The last time I read it (last month actually!) I finished the last few chapters in a local coffee shop. Oh man, you can imagine how hard it was to hold back the tears, lol. I didn't want to look like a sobbing idiot. But I managed to keep it together. However, inside my heart was breaking... it was happy... and it sad... it was all kinds of emotions. And that's why I love that story so much. :) Truly beautiful read, amazing characters... and the way it's written is unlike anything I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ending was happy and sad all at the same time. It really is a one-of-a-kind book.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.