Liebster Award

26 June 2013
No one will see me if I hide behind a bear.
You guys, I'm a bad blogger. Actually, I'm just a bad award-receiver. When someone bestows an award upon me, my instinct is to make like an ostrich and bury my head in the sand, just pretend I'm not here. Case in point: in my Art Appreciation class in college, my teacher made an award for the top 2-3 students who did amazingly on the midterm. Unfortunately, I was one of those students. Also unfortunately, the award was a pencil protector with a pencil, a pen, and an old school eraser. I was mortified, so I just pretended I was not there- it was a big class, after all, in a small auditorium. I may have been seated in the second row, but there was no way in hell I was going to stand up in front of everyone to claim my pencil protector.

Sadly, the professor tracked me down and made me claim my prize.

Which brings me to the Liebster Award. Granted, the winning of this award is a bit...shall we say, involved? It involves writing, answering questions, picking other winners, and creating questions. So of course, when I won, I panicked. All 5 times. 

Yes, I was nominated 5 times. 

Allison, Erika, Erika, Christina, and Melyssa each nominated me for this award. What's really cool, though, is that I love these girls! So when they nominated me, I was all, oh, how sweet! And then I buried my head in the sand.

But no more. Melyssa's Liebster post gave me the kick in the pants I needed (or just a dose of inspiration, as her blog always does). So today, I am finally writing my Liebster post. You can hop over to Melyssa's post to read the Liebster rules, I want to get straight to business here (took me long enough already).


Facts About Me:

  1. I hate the combination of chocolate and fruit, excepting bananas and pears. Sometimes dried cherries are okay. 
  2. I have a scar on the top of my left foot from falling forward and sliding down stairs. As an adult. Not drunk (I was actually at work).
  3. I won third place at the state fair in the obstacle portion of the horse-driving competition. Nerd alert!
  4. I think Pee Wee's Big Adventure is highly underrated. Why don't more people quote this movie?
  5. I wanted to learn French because of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Little did I know as a ten year old that I would major in French in college.
  6. I went stag to the prom. I didn't go on my first real date until I was 28 years old.
  7. In high school, one of my close friends and I kept notebooks that we would trade with each other, writing stories and anecdotes, and drawing pictures and pasting magazine clippings for each other. Blogs did not exist in those days.
  8. My first favorite song ever was What's Love Got To Do With It. As a wee one, I'd go around singing "what's love got to do, got to do." It's now one of my go-to karaoke songs.
  9. I was the "popular counselor" with the fifth graders when I counseled outdoor school for a week at age 16.
  10. I love hugs.
  11. I have a horrible nervous tic where I twirl my hair, especially my bangs.
11 Questions from the Bloggers:
  1. What was the best thing that happened to you this week? I got a postcard from Melyssa, who lives in Japan. And her note to me was so sweet. Technically, the note is from Melyssa and Monja, who is probably my favorite dog I've never met.
  2. What is your favorite thing about yourself? I do the things I want to do, even if it means going solo (except for when solo is unsafe).
  3. What are three qualities that are mandatory that your friends have? My friends must have patience, kindness, and a sense of humor.
  4. What's your favorite part about blogging? Besides feeling like I can be 100% myself here, I love the connections with my readers and other bloggers. I have cyber-met some amazing people so far.
  5. What is the best memory you have with one of your relatives? I have had a strained relationship with my mother's mom, mostly due to a long-held grudge on my grandma's part that I only became aware of at age 27 or so. But I will never forget how proud my grandma was the first time she saw me bellydance. She hadn't originally wanted to see me perform, but my big brother convinced grandma that I was not a stripper. He explained the cultural aspect of the dance. And so she came. And she loved it.
  6. What three words do people describe you as the most? Intelligent (or smart, or sharp, or witty), sweet (don't know where they got that idea), and quiet (shut up).
  7. Without thinking about obstacles, what is the biggest dream you would like to accomplish in your life? I would like to write a book, and see the pyramids in Egypt. Both have been life-long dreams. Besides, I already owned a pony.
  8. What would you do if you stepped in dog poo on your way to an important interview? I would find the closest spot where I could wipe it off my shoe- some grass, the side of a building, some garbage- I'd McGuyver the heck out of that situation.
  9. Which decade (or century) would you like to have lived in and why? The late 1800's in Paris, no doubt. I'm fascinated with that time period, especially artistically. I would have loved to join the Impressionists for a luncheon, and discuss the fleeting nature of time.
  10. What is something you've achieved this month that you're proud of? I finally made it into wheel pose in yoga. This has been my goal since April.
  11. Favorite guilty pleasure TV show? My Fair Wedding with David Tutera. Can I plan a horrible DIY wedding so that he can be my fairy-godfather and make it all amazing? Please?
And I'm spent.

Have you ever been nominated for something? How do you react?


 photo Rachelsig_zps92ed9769.png

9 comments:

  1. YAY! Congrats on your nominations (this sounds like the grammys or something, haha). This was fun to read and I'm glad you did it -- I totally understand wanting to run somewhere and hide... I was excited when I was nominated but felt the same way and was even MORE scared at nominating other people... mini-panic attack! But your blog is loved, more than 5x over and I'm glad you did this!

    Haha, I love how Beauty and the Beast inspired you to learn French. I would like to say that's the story behind me being a French major, but I think that movie just made me think about how awesome it would be to have talking dishes. ;)

    --Erika
    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha i feel you, these blog awards just feel like extra work sometimes, but i love reading other people's answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Congrats. And, I see why it took you some time to do it... that is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have no idea how much I relate to this...lol. Sticking your head in the sand part. lol. But I am glad you participated and love that you created the first blogs (essentially). Wouldn't it be great if you still had that notebook?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your nomination! I love learning random tidbits about people and really enjoyed your responses to the questions. Thank you so much for the shoutout too. When nominated or recognized, I think my face just turns into a really awkward blob of "I'm kind of smiling, but I'm also trying not to smile too big, because I'm nervous and also I don't want to look smug, and uhhh how much longer do I have to make this face?". So uh yeah...totally poised and with it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, "how much longer do I have to make this face?"- that's me when I get a less-than-great present. Recognition can be so awkward- it's a fine line between smug and ungrateful.

      Delete
  6. I just love literally every fact about you that you posted, from your proud grandma watching you belly dance to finally getting your yoga pose down after practicing for two months. You just rock my world! I love that I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what you'd be like in "real" life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Melyssa! You rock MY world! I always wonder how reflective a blog is of a person, like how well it matches up? From your blog, you totally seem like someone I would be friends with in real life, you're just that cool.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.