How to Meet New Friends

24 July 2013
Raise your hand if you think it is hard to make new friends as an adult. If all of my readers were gathered in a room together, I'm sure you'd look around and see that you're not the only one raising your hand. Let's face it: making new friends after college is hard.

Well, my friends (because I consider my readers to be my friends), you're in luck. Today, I am going to share with you some of my tips for making friends as an adult. I'm not an expert, but I can certainly share with you the experiences I have had and pass on a little bit of what I've learned in the (ahem) 7 years since I have left college.

I met these girls via tip #2. Somehow, I convinced them wearing wigs for incognito karaoke was the best idea ever.
  1. Take up a hobby. Preferably a hobby that includes some kind of group activity. This is not a guaranteed way to make the kind of friends you go to happy hour with, but it is a nice way to spend time doing something you like with like-minded people. I've been taking belly dance classes for 6 years, and while I don't hang out with my belly dance friends outside of class or shows, it's nice to know I will see the same women once a week, and that we all share a love of dance.
  2. Take a class at a local college. This is another one that isn't foolproof, but if you're someone who loves learning, this is a good route to go. If there is a community college in your town, you are likely to meet people of all ages and all walks of life, especially if you take a night class. Want to learn photography? Always wanted to learn how to speak Spanish? Interested in learning about law? Take a class, and while you learn something new, you just might meet a new friend!
  3. Join a Meetup group. Or two. Or ten. I joined Meetup several years ago, and have met some really awesome women my age through different Meetups. My first ever Meetup was a book club, and it started out pretty awkward. But then we all realized we were there for the same reason- we were in need of friends. My most successful Meetups have been the ones I've organized myself- a walking group and a Meetup at Yoga Rocks the Park. By setting up a walking group in a neighborhood I like, I have met women my age who also love going for walks and enjoying the neighborhood. With the yoga group, despite our varying levels of yoginess, the women I met shared an interest in trying new activities. Outside of college, I honestly think this is the best way to make new friends. And no, Meetup is not paying me to say this. But given how much I talk about Meetup, maybe they should? ;)
There you have it- my tips for making new friends as an adult. Do you have any tips you would like to share? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!


 photo Signature_zps27213de5.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.