I Heart Podcasts

15 August 2013
Happy Thursday, folks! Today I'd like to talk about how I spend my daily commute to work. 

I love music- dancing to it, singing along to it- but given that I now have a longer commute than I ever have, I can get sick of hearing the same music all of the time. I'd also like to think that my time is not going to waste when I could use that time to be learning something. Enter: podcasts.

Podcasts are great because they can be fun and they can be educational. I am a bit picky about the podcasts I listen to- I've shut off podcasts within half a minute because the host had an annoying voice, or the intro music was too cheesy, or the quality sounded really poor. That said, here are some of my favorite podcasts, the ones that I listen to on the regular.


NPR's Ask Me Another. So, I have a disclaimer on this one: I find the host slightly annoying (I really don't like Emcee's, especially Gen-X Emcee's), and I really don't like Jonathan Coulton's singing (dude is pretty nasally and reminds me why I don't like modern Broadway singers, not that he is one, but he reminds me of one). That said, I love trivia that I can play along with. I love shouting the answers in my car. I love getting upset when someone gets something wrong (especially when it is so obvious to me). If you love trivia, then this podcast is definitely for you.


The Moth. Um, I love the Moth. Love it. I absolutely love when people tell stories, and this podcast does it so well. The premise behind this is that there are events around the country, sort of like an open-mic for storytelling. People tell true stories from their lives, and these stories are recorded and shared on the podcast. Some stories are hilarious, some heartbreaking. This week's podcast put a few tears in my eyes (if you only listen to one, it is a good one), and this podcast from a few weeks ago had me believing in hope and love. This podcast gets you thinking and feeling. 


The Dinner Party Download. This is the newest addition to my podcast playlist. It has a little bit of everything: it opens with a joke (score), there's a little history lesson, a cocktail, pop culture and current events, an interview, etiquette tips, and music. This podcast has a really good flow and at close to an hour long, is perfect for my longer commutes. I highly recommend this podcast if you want a little bit of everything and want to come away feeling like you've learned something (say, enough to keep up with dinner party conversation).


Stuff You Missed in History Class. I've always been interested in history, but not grandpa's history about wars and generals. I'm more interested in culture and people. This podcast is awesome because you learn about things from history that you knew nothing about. I've learned about the history of ice cream, about the real Robin Hood, Loving v. Virginia, and the princess who swallowed a glass piano. It is really fascinating to hear about the types of things that seem to be omitted from standard history curriculum, and if you like history (or even if you think you don't), you should give this podcast a listen!

Those are my recommendations for podcasts- do you have any for me? Do you listen to podcasts? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

 photo Signature_zps27213de5.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.