Time Out: Lessons Learned from a Summer Virus

13 August 2013

As you may have noticed, I've been a bit silent around these parts this past week. A Summer virus crept up on me and knocked me flat this past week. Even once the fever was gone, I had zero energy for anything more than watching movies in a horizontal position. Even as I write this, I am not quite feeling 100% (maybe 75%).

While I've been sick, I've only logged into my computer long enough to delete the masses of useless emails I receive each day, and respond only to the most important of the important. I've felt bad about not blogging, not reading other blogs, not keeping up across social media platforms. But I needed the break, and this break has taught me a few things:


  1. I deserve a break. All of the pressure to perform and deliver comes from within me, and in order for my body to heal, I need to release and let go of that pressure. My world will not cave in just because I took a social media break for a week.
  2. Slow down. I've been filling my schedule to the brim all Summer long, joking about how I had the same Netflix DVD sitting by my TV for 6-8 weeks. Well, it turns out that kind of schedule can run a girl ragged, and I've taken note. Since I love schedules, I will simply have to schedule weekly down-time for watching a movie or two.
  3. Listen to your body. I'm so glad I listened to my body and left work early on Tuesday, but I almost didn't. Thankfully, I've come to know that body aches indicate a real sign of illness and I left before my fever got worse.
  4. Health first. Above all things, I have to take care of my body before I take care of anything else. If I am not well, I cannot give my full energy to my work, my hobbies, my family, or my friends. I still feel guilty for taking sick leave from work, but I know that the sooner I go back, the longer my recovery will be, and the worse my performance will be. 
  5. Sleep is underrated. Get some shut-eye, and make sure to have lights out consistently every night to allow for as close to 8 hrs of sleep as possible. My body simply cannot function without ample sleep.
Have you ever had your health give you a reminder that you need to slow down? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

 photo Signature_zps27213de5.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.