Go Play

19 November 2013


How often do you play? Do you ever set aside your to-do list and do something just for fun?

Before moving in with my sister and her family, I never gave this much thought. But oh, what a change of perspective and an opening of eyes comes with living with a toddler.

Fox loves to play, and most of the time, he likes to play "railroad." He'll pull out his Thomas trains and steer them around. Sometimes he likes to play with a smartphone, especially the camera. Other times, he loves chasing my dog in circles.

Fox also likes to have company when he plays, and I've taken to indulging him. I need play time as much as he does. And this is where the magic lies.

When I first started this blog, my daily routine was work, workout, come home and blog, go to bed. Part of why I have changed my blogging pace is to make room for unplanned play time. And it has been incredibly beneficial to my well-being.

During play time, I am forced to be absolutely present. There is no work, no chores, no bills, no blog. Just play. And joy. When all is removed, I am free to laugh and enjoy a simple moment.

So I want to urge you, my readers, to carve out some time in your day. You need this. Make plans to just do something fun that has no purpose, no end goal. If you have a dog, play ball with her, or rub her belly for a bit. If you have a child in your life, get on their level and play with them. If you have neither of these things, do whatever play means to you. Experiment with making homemade body butter, color in a coloring book, do a puzzle, write a limerick. 

Whatever you choose, let yourself be in the moment. Everything else will come later and will be taken care of in its time. But for just 20 minutes, give yourself a break, and go play.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.