Rachel's Guide to Portland: Imperial

06 February 2014

I don't know about you, but I love me a good happy hour. What I look for in a happy hour beyond good food and good drinks are good value, a varied food menu (must have a corn-free vegetarian option), and good hours. Imperial gets points for all three.


I came in for Imperial's happy hour on a Wednesday after work. At 5pm, the bar was almost empty, so I had my choice of seats (I chose a table since I was meeting my mom). I ordered one of their two specialty cocktails, the Vieux Carre. It's a whiskey-based cocktail with a lot going on, but it is oh so delicious and refreshing in the middle of the work week. My mom ordered the top-pictured cocktail, a Black Diamond, which is the other featured happy hour cocktail. Hers had creme de menthe and chocolate bitters, and was very complex- a variety of flavors dance on your tongue as you sip.


I ordered us each a parker house roll. These are pillowy clouds of deliciousness, and possibly my favorite rolls in town. By the time we finished these, the bar was filling up with the after-work crowd.


Confession: I"m a bit of a french fry addict. I will judge a restaurant on based on their fries. I will also not stop eating fries until my stomach balloons out. So far, my favorites in town have been St. Jack and Little Big Burger (thank God for truffle fries). These fries take the cake. They are perfectly golden and crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. They came out piping hot and were served with a delicious special sauce. I have no idea what the special sauce is made of, but I approve.


Note: my mom and I did order the cheese plate, but I was such a little piggie that I completely forgot to take pictures. I probably love cheese as much as I love fries. Maybe a little more, given the lack of picture. But, I will say that my mom and I both enjoyed a bleu cheese for the very first time. Neither of us like bleu cheese, but I figured I give this one a shot since it was not very veiny, and I'm glad I did. Both of the other cheese were delicious, as was the little fruit and nut bar the cheese was served with.

Finally, dessert. I also judge a restaurant based on their desserts, and Imperial gets an A+ from me. I want to hug their pastry chef. This coconut honey cake was such a delight. I have never had a coconut cake so moist and so flavorful. This picture makes it look small, but it was actually big enough that my mom and I could not finish it, so my mom had leftovers to take home. Not only this, but it was actually a little difficult to choose a dessert because the menu looked so good. That, folks, is how it's done.

I highly recommend Imperial to anyone who finds themselves downtown and in need of a happy hour. Sure, you have to pay for street parking, and all the nearby meters are only 90 minutes (which isn't quite enough), but it's worth it.

Portlanders- have you been to Imperial? What is your favorite happy hour? I would love to hear form you in the comments below!
 photo Untitled-2_zpsf24ff9bf.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.