Cultivating Self-Love: The Ghost of Haircuts Past

08 April 2014

Have you ever had a haircut that made you want to cry? A style so terrible you felt you couldn't show your face in public? I've been there, believe me.

In fact, my hair has seen all kinds of styles, good and bad. As a kid, I really wanted Stephanie Tanner's hair (of Full House fame). I was born neither blond nor curly-headed so I had to make do with Sun-In and a perm. Sadly, my hair is so stick-straight that my perm tended to have some flat spots in it.

There was also a time when my mom cut my hair so short that the kids in my class called me a boy. I began first grade with long, thick hair, and ended it with a weird short style. In school, our class would march to lunch in two lines: boys and girls. Boys sat on one side of the table while girls sat on the other. After my terrible haircut, my classmates made me sit on the boys' side of the table. Kids are cruel.

As I got older and my coloring changed, I couldn't pull off blond any more (who knows- maybe I never could). When I was 15 I decided I wanted to try highlights in my hair- and had my mom do it. She used one of those kits with a cap and lets just say she pulled way too much hair through the cap. I became a blonde (pictured above). I was horrified and mortified, even though everyone was much nicer to me about the change. After a few weeks, I had my mom dye my hair back to brown. Which just turned my hair black. Jet black. No going back.

Thankfully, several long months later, my mom took me to a professional who corrected the color of my hair. I no longer trust anyone outside of a salon to cut or color my hair.

I've even come to associate some haircuts with certain periods of my life. I tend to go through phases of growing my hair long and then chopping it all off (my own personal flair for the dramatic). I've had both short and long hair while living in France (my hair grows really fast), and short and long hair in high school. In junior high my hair was a horrible rats nest, so you won't be seeing those pictures here. For the past couple years, I was working on growing out my hair so I could have long, luscious bellydancer locks.

As it turns out, my hair fantasy does not match my hair reality. I'd love to have gorgeous long layers that curl perfectly. The reality is that my hair is slippery and stick-straight. It's hard enough keeping it in a ponytail let alone adding some curl (which will disappear after an hour).

So, after some serious thought (come one, I know I'm not the only one who thinks seriously about her hair), I decided to chop it.

Before

After
I can accept all of the trials my hair has been through in the past, for I've learned some valuable lessons. The biggest one? Stay true to who you are and what works for you. Sometimes reality is better than the fantasy.

Have you ever had a horrible hairdo? I want to hear all about it! Share your story in the comments below.

Cultivating Self-Love
 photo Untitled-2_zpsf24ff9bf.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.