Cultivating Self-Love: Style Icons

07 May 2014

One of the things I consider when thinking about my style is who my style icons are. I'm not talking about who fashion magazines tell me are definitive style icons, I'm talking about the women that I look to who reflect a style that I wish to emulate (or simply admire). 

As a general rule of thumb, I"m not particularly into role models and icons and whatnot. I think that everyone should be their own person. I'd like to think I can be my own style icon.

When it comes to style, however, I think it's good to have a starting point, especially if you're unsure of where to start. Style is very personal and a reflection of one's personality. But sometimes, it's hard to define what exactly that personality looks like.

Enter: style icons.

For me, style icons are anyone that I look to for inspiration when it comes to style. It could be the way they do their hair, their makeup, the clothes they wear, or the accessories they use. There is often something about their aesthetic that stands out to me and that I can incorporate into my own look.

To give you some ideas, let me share with you some of my style icons:

Source

Jane Fonda, for starters. The first time I saw Barefoot in the Park, I fell in love with Fonda's look. There was something about it that was carefree and energetic, yet feminine and glamorous. 

Source

Lauren Bacall. Look at that gorgeous hair. Bacall, for me, represents a smoldering femininity. She is glamorous in every way.

Source

Natalie Wood. I think my first exposure to Wood was Splendor in the Grass, which I watched several times as a teenager. Not only is Wood an incredible actress, but she has a great, fun style.

Source

Elizabeth Taylor. Famous for her violet eyes, many husbands, perfume, and a tempestuous personality. But you can't deny this woman had impeccable style that screams Classic Hollywood.

By choosing these women as some of my style icons (I have more, which I will bring up in another post- you'll see why), I can see my own personality reflected which helps me to make my own style choices. Clearly, I adore classic Hollywood glamour, with a bent toward the 1950s-60s. 

Hollywood stars also have dogs.

How does my own style reflect my style icons? In part, through my accessories. If you've followed me very long, or follow me on Instagram, you'll have seen my infamous white Ray-Bans. I chose these sunnies four years ago for their classic Hollywood look and have loved the investment ever since. When I slip those babies on, I feel like a movie star. 


Another thing I do is wear red lipstick. I don't wear it all the time, but when I do, I feel incredibly put-together, like Elizabeth Taylor. 

Would ya look at that- retro dress, red lips, and infamous white sunnies!

If you were to open my closet, you would also find I am a huge fan of dresses, and I love a good sundress with a 1950s flare, or a good sheath like what Elizabeth Taylor might have worn.


One more way I incorporate the retro look is through polka dots. Polka dots are my print of choice, and I love wearing them- they make me feel a bit like Natalie Wood. I prefer to stick with black and white or blue and white polka dots, as I feel those match my aesthetic the best.

So you see, I use my style icons as jumping points for expressing my own style. When I'm out shopping, it helps to keep in mind who my icons are as a guide to keep my wardrobe within a similar aesthetic (so I can mix and match). I'll touch on my personal style and how I shop in a future post, but I wanted to relate how my style icons fit in.

It really helps me to know who my style icons are, and to accept that they might not be the same as someone else's. Again, our style is a reflection of our personality, and just as we each are different in our personalities, so should are icons be different (or the same- that's ok too). Just know who you are and what you like.

Who are some of your style icons? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!
 photo Untitled-2_zpsf24ff9bf.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.