Cultivating Self-Love: Style

05 May 2014

Can you believe it's May already? I don't know how it happened, but here we are. It's time to introduce the next theme in my Cultivating Self-Love series, and this month I have a fun one: style.

Perhaps you're thinking to yourself, "what does style have to do with cultivating self-love?" Let me tell you.

Style is an expression of oneself- the way you present yourself to the world. I believe we all have a style- some girls are jeans-and-t-shirt, others are dresses and high heels, and some are a mix of both. Personally, I have gone through phases where my practical style did not match the style I envisioned for myself.
My favorite dress in the whole, wide world.

As a little girl, I was all about the dresses. And swimsuits with winter hats (it's totally a thing). My very favorite dress was this red gingham dress that my mom sewed for me and I wore it far beyond was appropriate (basically until the hem was at my crotch). I loved (and still love) the freedom a dress bestows. As I got a little older, dresses also became a way to live my fantasy of living in another time period. I've always been fascinated by history, and my style was a way to play with that.

I'm thinking of bringing this look back.

Once my body began changing, about age 11, I became a jeans and t-shirt girl. I wanted to cover everything up and make sure no one could see my belly rolls or boobs. It was also really hard to find size 14 clothes that were stylish and age-appropriate, so Disney and youth group t-shirts were my cover up of choice.

Once I got a job in high school, I branched out a bit more with my style since I had a bunch of disposable income and could buy whatever I wanted (instead of what my parents could afford- I was one of four kids, after all). Old Navy had just opened up a store at our mall and I became a loyal customer. I started adding 3/4-length sleeve tees to my wardrobe (a daring move, I know). Oh, and since it was the end of the 90s, color was making a comeback and I was stoked.

Throughout college, I experimented a little, but remained a jeans and t-shirt girl. But I longed for the day I would graduate and join the working masses and be able to wear more lady-like clothing. I wore casual skirts to express my feminine side, but I longed for dresses and high heels.

Once I got my first grownup job in the States, I really started to play with my style. I've always loved clothes, and I love playing dress up, and I feel I've learned a thing or two (granted, I owe a lot to Stacy and Clinton of What Not to Wear fame). But I still have struggles with my style from time to time, especially when going through changes.

So this month I'm dedicating to loving my style. This means reflecting on what my style is, what I want it to be, and how I express it. It also means accepting that having style does not make me superficial (something I struggle with, and a big reason I haven't done any style posts here on the blog in the past).

Join me this month as I explore my style, and get a peek into a side of me that you might not have known existed. I'll be sharing a bit about style icons, my personal style, my beauty routine, and more! Feel free to let me know if there is anything you want me to share!

How do you feel about style? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

Cultivating Self-Love

 photo Untitled-2_zpsf24ff9bf.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.