Goodbye Old, Hello New

31 December 2015

Photo Cred: WeRomantics
A lot has been on my mind of late, and it has been hard for me to formulate the words to express myself completely. Holidays, opportunities, reflection, illness, and a minor social media bullying incident have all been occupying my thoughts. But enough is enough, and today I shall try by saying goodbye to the old year and hello to the new.

2015 was a fairly good year:

  • My relationship with Alex grew, and I learned a lot about myself and how to be in a relationship.
  • I traveled quite a bit, and learned that I'm not as young and spry as I once was.
  • I gained a niece and fall in love with her more every time I see her.
  • I paid for a Classpass membership and have challenged myself physically and mentally.
  • Alex and I moved to a new apartment, which tested how well we work together under stress.
  • I became a member at my favorite winery and have been enjoying learning more about wine with Alex.
  • I took on new responsibilities and challenges at work, and it's taught me about flexibility and setting realistic expectations.
When I look back, I see a year of growth in ways that I had never expected. It's been challenging, but with my partner at my side, I felt supported through it all.

As for the coming year, I see even more opportunities for growth. I have already signed up for the 52 Hike Challenge (Adventure Series, no less), and look forward to hitting the trails that I've always wanted to explore, as well as spending lots of time on my old favorites (like Falls Creek Falls and the Wahkeena Loop). I will continue to try new activities through Classpass as well. There is nothing more satisfying to me than pushing myself physically and doing things I didn't think I could do.

What is more, I wish a few things for 2016:
  • Mercy. It is not something I often hear about, and with social media, it seems we are all too ready to send anyone who offends through the ringer. I hope that I can display some mercy this year, and hope to see more of it in the world.
  • Grace. This is tied to mercy, yet a little more personal. You know that bullying incident I referred to above? It involved a negative comment on Instagram by someone hiding behind a blank profile. I didn't respond and reported the account. And then I moved on, because I believe that that was the graceful response. But I really wanted to say something. The advocate in me wants to speak to injustice, to call out the wrongdoings and ask their purpose. But bullies, as I learned very young, live for the response. So I ignored the negativity and moved on.
  • Love. Above all, love. I have a lot of it in my life now, and I look forward to seeing it grow in 2016. 
With this, I wish you all a Happy New Year, and may it be filled with mercy, grace, and love.

What do you hope to see more of in 2016?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Powered by Blogger.